Tuesday, September 3, 2013

My First Ever Monster Truck Show

   I have always wanted to go to a Monster truck show. It is the redneck in me. I can't help myself. During the busy summer months in rural France, all kinds of tent shows pass through the towns. Every week there is a circus, puppet show or other family entertainment. Last weekend, a friend said her son was going to this monster truck show and that sealed the deal- we were going. Summer is coming to an end. We won't be here next year for all of these activities- we had to go. Poor Oldest Child was sick, the show started pretty late, but I was determined.
  Off we went to the pretty town of Lorgues, about 30 minutes east of our place. It was a gorgeous sunset drive and we arrived plenty early to the dusty parking lot where the show was set to take place. Needless to say, it was in French and we had no idea what was going on, but I was in 7th heaven.
   I am so glad we went, and now I know, I don't need to do it again. I think the show was made up of overly confident, movie stunt men who drove little orange Mustangs around really fast, making a massive dust bowl. The stunt man laid on the roof of the car and was driven through a flaming fence, the stunt man stood on the hood of the car and was driven around really fast, the driver drove around on 2 wheels repetitively and was clearly very proud of his abilities...A Monster truck came out for the last 10 minutes of the show and it was, well, very big. It squashed a few cars and that was it. Homeward bound we were.
   On the way home we saw a giant wild boar which threw the kids into a tizzy. You could have ridden the thing, it was so big. We hear them nightly rustling in the bushes, but we rarely catch a glimpse of them. It was a good way to end our entertaining evening.
 
En Route to monster truck show, had to stop to capture the colors
Oh yeh, wish I had one of these

Gotta love the beautifully lit church in the background

Youngest Child cosy in the wheel of "Blue Thunder"

No comments: