Sunday, November 3, 2013

Booo!

   The French elementary schools in my area have two weeks off every six weeks. I wonder how they re assimilate after so much vacation? I wonder how my children will re assimilate after all of this time off? I wish I could say they were beaming with excitement, but that is just not the case. Youngest Child would put up a fuss about return to the classroom no matter what country we are in. Middle Child is accepting of the return, but desperately wishes she could speak the necessary language. Everybody tells me it will come. Problem is, I was so sure they would be speaking within two months of starting school-it has been six weeks- and barely a word. They are frustrated, rightfully so.
   On another note, we have enjoyed our free time, as we always do. After a week in Scotland, we have not gone more than 20 km. in any direction. There have been picnics, chocolat chaud in town, even a couple of social get togethers. And...Halloween.
   Back home, we have had an annual Halloween party, inviting all of our friends, new and old, to celebrate with food, games, fire and costume. Like for most Americans, trick or treating is a favorite holiday, big business and a competitive one, at that. Kids race to beat the pack behind them to the next door up the street. If a house has turned off their front door light in order to deter candy callers, kids consider them Scrooges. They reap enough candy to induce a sugar buzz in an entire third world country. So, after a very pleasant jaunt around Cotignac as one large pack of trick or treaters made up of the village's school children, they each had a couple of handfuls of candy. The "parade" visited merchants, not residences, excpet for a very sweet pass through the retirement home, which was my kids' favorite. Youngest finished his entire cache before we returned home. Yes, he complained about how sick he was while I giggled at his foolishness. Live and learn....
   But, I never found a pumpkin for carving. I had not one decoration. Costume making was difficult as inexpensive materials do not seem to exist here. It came, it went and we are all looking forward to Christmas as I know that is a very festive holiday for the French.
Awaiting the start of the Trick or treating parade with a friend from school. Guess what? He is Belgian....
Trick or treating at the Maison de The
Trick or treating at the Fleuriste
Even at the Tapissier...

No comments: